Choosing the Right Type of Industrial Shelving Systems
April 14, 2015 12:44 pm
Although there are many differences in how various warehouses operate, one dynamic shared by all is the use of industrial shelving systems. Whether used strictly for storage or inventory being prepared for shipment, it is important to choose the right type of system. By doing so, warehouses run more efficiently, production increases, and safety improves.
• Special Considerations
When looking at different industrial shelving systems, you want to consider several factors. With good planning, you will save time and money in both the short and long term.
• Internal Business Operations– Whether you require standard or heavy-duty steel shelving, start by looking at the business as a whole. As part of this, include a forecast for growth. This allows enough space, as well as flexibility to adapt for any changes that might arise. Most importantly, consider current plans for expansion, including product lines, new stock, unique categories, and so on.
• Industry Overview– You also want to consider how industry-specific factors might impact your business operations. For instance, is your company in slow or fast growth mode? Are you ready for changes in regulations that might affect the handling of stock? Does the business respond to seasonal variations? The goal is to look at steel shelving that offers long-term efficiency.
• Picking Profile– The movement of your product range and SKU are also important. When researching industrial shelves, consider the method for receiving orders and the design of pickup zones. Shelves should handle changes that occur between levels of SKUs. For product range, you want industrial steel shelving that works best for the weight, height, and movement of your products.
• Equipment– Industrial shelving units must accommodate equipment requirements, as well, especially if there are plans to change or add different pieces of equipment to your operations.
• Financial Investment– The amount of money that you spend on industrial shelving systems depends on the exact product, the number of steel shelves, the company budget, and future needs. This is why it is so critical to look for industrial shelving that is smart and flexible.
At Western Pacific Storage Solutions (WPSS), we offer the highest quality of industrial shelving systems available. For steel shelving, boltless, mezzanine systems (work platforms), and more, we are the number one trusted source.
Categorised in: Case Study